Strength and Conditioning
Activ's strength and conditioning gym program is a 10-week gym program that forms part of your overall fitness program to deliver improvements in strength, power, endurance and general health.
The program is delivered by Tane Crosby; Tane has recently completed his Bachelor of Exercise Physiology and has also completed his Cert III/IV in Fitness (Personal Trainer).
Tane's experience includes:
- delivering personalised rehabilitation exercise programs for health and well being
- building programs around work conditioning for improvements to sports performance
- extensive elite level racing experience in mountain biking
- running sessions during Activ's previous S&C programs (under the guidance of Head S&C Coach Brynley Abad)
- running hundreds (!) of Activ's indoor cycling sessions and evaluating the effect of various training regimes
- 10 week program
- 1 group gym session per week
- 1 on-bike power test at Activ
- Flow2 gym access included in program
- Sessions taken by qualified Personal Trainer with a graduate degree in Exercise Physiology
What's the "point" of Strength and Conditioning
The primary goal for any athletic training program is to improve the performance and results you receive in that sport.
At a Master's level, we're also interested in ensuring long term health and ability to train.
Strength and conditioning helps meet these goals by
- increasing muscle cross section area and ability to recruit and fire these muscles in a coordinated fashion (i.e. peak strength and peak power)
- reducing the likelihood of injury by strengthening the musculature to meet the demands of the sport
- adding resistance and weight bearing exercise to limit the decline of bone density prevalent in road-cyclists
- providing a background and focus on correct technique for core exercises - Romanian deadlift, deadlift, Bulgarian squat, back-squat, split-squat, seated row, bench-press and other techniques that are introduced as required
- providing a mental break from the often repetitive nature of on-bike training
This program is available to both Activ members and non-members.
Sessions are held Wednesdays 5:00am - at Flow2 gym - this time fits in with the bulk of our regular clients and lets us keep the cost of the program low.
- 19th October 2016
- 26th October 2016
- 2nd November 2016
- 9th November 2016
- 16th November 2016
- 23rd November 2016
- 30th November 2016
- 7th December 2016
- 14th December 2016
- 21st December 2016
Strength and conditioning is built around consistency - we have found that without a commitment to the program it is all too easy for participants to sleep in!
Unfortunately, this isn't sustainable, as group sizes are strictly limited to 8 participants - and we need to know who is turning up each week.
If you'd like to discuss a personal program (S&C) or another date / time - then we are taking expressions of interest - email email@example.com.
Gym (Flow2) Location
Please see the Flow2 website for location, parking and access details.
1 - Payment for Program
Complete program registration and payment
2 - Pre-Exercise Screening
Please review, complete and return page 1 of the
pre-exercise screening document
For new S&C clients only.
3 - Pre-Program Assessment
If you have answered YES to any of the screening questions then please contact Activ prior to the course so we can more properly evaluate the specific risk factors for this program.